May 13, 2011

carribean chicken tenderloins

It's a good thing I rarely turn off my computer or close internet pages.  When blogger exploded yesterday I had already written this draft, but thankfully I could just back arrow to it and copy & paste.

Well we found another great recipe in Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine.  It was nice and light, and the pineapple juice seemed perfect for the couple of 90 degree days we have had.

caribbeanchickentenderloins

We did switch up the recipe a bit, because I am terrified of even slightly spicy food.  Chris made his own Caribbean jerk seasoning, and left out the cayenne pepper.  Instead of spicy brown mustard we used dijon.  Based on our results, I'd say if you like a little kick, make the recipe as is and it should be fantastic.  Our version was a tiny bit bland, but still had a good amount of flavor thanks to the pineapple juice.  I also made Chris throw in some mushrooms, because I freaking love mushrooms :o).  I add them to anything I can.  Also, I think it would work to grill the chicken if you prefer it that way, but it is up to you!

Caribbean Chicken Tenderloins
from the June/July 2010 issue of Healthy Cooking

Ingredients
1 pound chicken tenderloins
2 teaspoons Caribbean jerk (Jamaican jerk) seasoning
3 teaspoons olive oil
2.5 cups cut fresh asparagus
1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
4 green onions, chopped
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
2 cups hot cooked rice

Directions
1.  Rub chicken with jerk seasoning.  In a large skillet cooked with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.  Remove and keep warm.
2.  In the same skillet, saute the asparagus, pineapple and onions in remaining oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender.  Combine the cornstarch, pineapple juice and mustard until smooth; gradually stir into the pan.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Serve with chicken and rice.

3 ounces of cooked chicken with 1/2 cup asparagus mixture and 1/2 cup rice equals 314 calories.  It doesn't say what kind of rice, we used brown.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Barkemeyers said...

I made this dish, and it was so good! I absolutely loved the chicken and it was so easy! My asparagus came out a little more caramelized (or just gooier) than I would have liked, but it was still good!