May 9, 2011

success.

Run a 5k?  Check.  Woot!  I have such a sense of accomplishment about this.  Was I the fastest?  No.  Did I beat my previous 5k PR?  No.  But did I run the whole thing?  Heck yes.  Did I beat my 35 minute goal?  Official time:  33:31.  Bam.

DSC00252

I am so very thankful that my bestie came out to run with me.  Who knows if I would have made it without her.  She completed a 5k last weekend in 33 minutes, so I knew we were going to be perfect running partners.  Except for the part where she wanted water halfway through, and being the fool I am, totally made her bypass the stand.  Oops.  Sorry Meg!

DSC00257
I think we were only about a mile in, no wonder we looked so chipper.

There were over 3500 women and girls at this mother's day run.  It was pretty crazy.  We lined up between the ten and eleven minute mile groups... the start was kind of rough because everyone was so packed in, and some people were abruptly stopping to walk with no warning in the middle of the course, but after a few minutes the pack started to spread out.  As we passed the guy with the stopwatch at the first mile marker, he called out 11:48.  I of course instantly thought CRAP!  We were already behind the pace I wanted to go.  At mile marker number two, we were at 21:40.  Apparently we kicked the second mile's butt (as far as I'm concerned anyway).  At that point Meaghan pointed out that the stop watch dudes were going off the gun time, but we didn't cross the start mats for about a minute or so after that.  Meaning our pace was absolutely fine and I had no reason to worry.

Apparently we slowed down quite a bit during the third mile, because our official time came in at 33:31.  Of course I was kicking myself a little when I saw that, wondering why I hadn't picked up the pace just a bit.  But Chris brought me back to reality.  "Wasn't your goal to be under 35 minutes?"  "Yeah."  "Then what's the problem?"  Ok Chris.  You're right.  Plus Meg and I finished 637 and 638 out of 3567.  I'll definitely take that.  As a side note, there was a six year old who finished in like 20 minutes.  Sheesh!

DSC00262
my cheering squad :o)

Over the last couple weeks, I wasn't sure what my approach to running would be after this 5k.  I still don't love running.  I'm not sure I'll ever understand the people that do.  But I feel such a sense of accomplishment from meeting this goal, that I can't throw it all away.  So I downloaded Bridge to 10k on my iPhone.  It is a little daunting, seeing as the summary says the workouts range from 50-70 minutes, but I really loved the C25K app.  It kept me motivated, and gave me a plan.

Starting this week I plan to alternate between running and Jillian Michael's 6 Week Six Pack DVD.  I gave the video a half-arse try last week, and was actually a wee bit sore, so I figure it might actually do something if I really put some effort in to it.  I was thinking it was going to be a very ab focused workout... nope.  Well kind of I guess, but it definitely works everything else as well.  And Jillian is actually nice in this video, which was a surprise.  I haven't tried the 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 yet (both of which I ordered off Amazon as well), but I have a feeling this is a much easier workout than those.  So if you are wanting to try a Jillian DVD but aren't ready to die yet, this might be a good start for you :o).

DSC00263
Ryann was really proud of me.  I swear :o)  Or loving her Cheerios, whatever.

I'm hoping that in the next six weeks I can get pretty close to my goal weight.  As of this morning my total lost is 18.2 pounds (At one point I was down 19 pounds, but another indulgent weekend brought the scale up a bit this morning).  I weigh what I did the day I got married, and was able to wear my pre-pregnancy jeans (size 8's that were in the goodwill box because they were too small) this weekend.  They weren't even a bit tight.  I have 14.2 pounds to go to meet my goal.  The 10k app is a six week program, and even though I doubt I'll have an actual six pack in six weeks, since both the DVD and the app are both aimed for results in a six weeks, I am excited to see how it goes.

Honestly, when I started this journey to a healthier me ten weeks ago, I didn't think I would make it this far.  Since I've been out of college it has been so hard to keep my eating and my weight in check.  I'm not sure what clicked in my brain that allowed me to succeed this time, but I'm so happy it is working.  And I am so thankful for everyone out there who is supporting me.  All of your kind words (and the fact that I know that you know what I'm trying to accomplish) really keep me going!

For all of you out there who think you aren't strong enough or fast enough or whatever enough, I leave you with my pinterest motivation of the week.


Get out there and get moving.  Even if just a little bit.  You can do it.

17 comments:

Genevieve said...

Way to go Ashley!!! And I know I have already said it, but you look fabulous!

Bobi said...

I think I'll go work out now! Congrats and thanks for the motivation:)

Meredith said...

You look so great Ashley, and that 5k is a huge accomplishment! I hope I can get my time down into your time range!

Carry Grace said...

Yay! That is awesome. Congratulations on meeting your goal.

I am officially inspired to get off my rear. I am determined to finish the 30 day shred.

emily barkemeyer said...

WAY TO GO ASHLEY! Very proud of you! Just wanted to throw another idea out there for you...I just got a bike trailor to pull the girls around in, which has proven to be a KILLER workout. I'm not sure if your neighborhood is bike friendly, or if you want to invest a little in a bike and the trailor. I have found it to be a nice change of pace from always pushing a stroller (even though the extra 50+ lbs from the girls is great resistance). Just wanted to share bc I know how switching workouts up a bit can keep you going! Keep up the great work.

Brenna said...

I love that quote at the end! I used to be SO athletic and just cannot seem to get it together now! Everything else seems to take priority- or at least I make the excuse that it does- to make myself feel better about not doing things I know I should. Keep up the good work friend!!

Peppermint Bee said...

Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment!And you look fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Seriously -- on all of it. Here's hoping I find even a fraction of your motivation.

Ashley said...

ya!!! sooo proud of you!!!!

ThoughtsON said...

You look amazing!!! Way to go! I plan to re-read these posts after my baby is born for motivation to lose the baby weight!

Super Lady said...

That is a great time! Congratulations!

Jeane said...

Congratulations!!! What an accomplishment!!! Your race time ROCKS! I have my second 5K this weekend and can be lucky if I get under 36 min.

Your journey is so inspiring! I wish I would be that strong to eat healthier and lose weight. I have 12 more pounds to lose (yeah, I just gained 2 the last week) to be at my pre-pregnancy weight and it is so motivating to see that it is possible to actually lose it.

Jenny said...

Congratulations, Ashley! Even though you're an "internet stranger" I've been following your journey & I am really proud of you! I am SO not a runner either, but you are really inspiring me to get off my butt. My 30 Day Shred is collecting dust, but no more! I'll dust it off and join you in your quest to a healthier body!

Jessi | Minnesota Mrs. said...

Congrats! Your last pic is so true; in my last run someone had a sign that said "Tons of other people thought of a million reasons to not exercise today" and I felt awesome just for being out there! Another of my favorites is from Bob (Biggest Loser). He always says "Don't compete, just complete". Tough for me to remember sometimes but I like it. NICE JOB!

LauraS said...

Congrats Ash! You look great!

Erin said...

That's so awesome!! Congrats. That motivational quote is perfect too - you're definitely faster than me - I honestly don't even think I could make it to the end of my block... how sad.

christa said...

Love the quote, keep running!!