April 19, 2010

3 weeks already?

Our little baby girl is three weeks old today. I seriously can't believe it. Some days I feel like we just brought her home, and others I feel like Ryann has been here forever. But it is true what everyone says, they grow so fast.


It is crazy how much Ryann has changed in the last three weeks. She is still a newborn who just sleeps most of the day, but she is so much more alert than she was. We usually have two to three 90 minute awake periods a day. Otherwise she is only up for 30 minutes for a diaper change, a feeding, and if we can get it in before she passes out again, a burp. Most of the time she is great and will sleep pretty much anywhere. Somedays though, she just really wants to be held, and at this point I have a hard time not giving in.


Feedings can be quite the event with Ry. A lot of times it is a struggle to keep her awake long enough to finish a bottle. She is still only getting at most 2.5 ounces every 2-3 hours. I would try and increase her feeding amounts, but sometimes she will only each 1.5 ounces. Hopefully her tummy will get a little bigger soon :o). We have also turned to gripe water to help her with gas issues. When she is eating she gets really worked up (as if I may never give her another bottle or something) so she sucks down a ton of air. It is kind of hillarious though, when I try to burp her in the middle of a bottle she'll start picking her head up off my shoulder and making her 'hungry bird' face. She is basically head banging on my shoulder, and I swear cussing me out because she wants to finish the bottle. We will have to try and get that one on video.

Ryann still only fits in the Carter's newborn clothing. She also has a couple of outfits from BabyGap and Gymboree that are for babies up to 7 pounds, but those ones are a little short in the limbs, and WAY to small in the feet. Ryann definitely has her daddy's big feet. Even though I don't want her to grow too fast, I can't wait until she fits into all of the adorable 0-3 month clothing that is in her closet. She has so many cute dresses!! In due time I suppose. She is also still in newborn diapers... the first five days or so we had her in preemies.


Our little girl ROCKS at tummy time. It seems that lots of babies hate it, but Ry will stay there for 15 minutes at a time pushing away with her little legs and trying to pick her head up and turn it from side to side. She also loves to lay on her playmat or a blanket and stare at her snail toy. It lights up and plays music when you hit it, something that she often accidentally does on her own. Maybe she is making the connection that she can do it...

oops, lost the binky :o)

Here is the TMI section of this post. Last week I got to experience my first diaper blowout. Ry was lounging in my lap just hanging out, and she started making her poo face (and yes I have pictures of said poo face. Maybe I'll post one sometime soon... ha ha). I thought she would, you know, gracefully go about her business when all the sudden splat... poo comes out the side of her diaper and is now all over her onesie, and all over my shirt. It was oh so lovely. I ended up changing her/cleaning her up on my bathroom counter, because I wanted to find a surface I could just wipe down and disinfect. It was quite the experience. Hopefully that doesn't happen on a regular basis.

Something I never knew about baby girls? They too can spray their pee quite the distance. Or at least my little Ry can. One night I was changing her diaper and she started peeing, not the end of the world except for somehow she managed to spray the wall. I just stared in disbelief as it dripped down behind the dresser. Seriously? That is ridiculous.


Overall I think I'm starting to get the hang of this mom thing. Today I managed to take care of my daughter, go grocery shopping with my mom (and Ryann of course), do a couple loads of laundry, make dinner, work on printing invitations and blog. Today has been a very accomplished day! We shall see if I can keep it up...

6 comments:

Beth Ann said...

What a cute picture of the two of you!

Christen said...

I've got to say you are one of my new favorite blogs!! My husband and I have been considering trying for a baby soon, and I've loved reading about your new mommy adventures. Cute pictures!!

Expat Girl said...

What great pictures, now that I am getting closer to meeting my Baby Girl, I am loving your blog updates : )

Anonymous said...

My girl was super gassy when we used those Gerber bottles. She got better when we switched to Dr. Browns. Just a thought. Love you blog!

Amy said...

Well, She is beautiful. You look amazing for having a 3 week old... Great Pic. & yes everyone says don't rush it. They do grow so quickly. I did that with our first. Couldn't wait for all the 1st.... now she is almost 17. I learned by the 3rd... she is 2. lol Enjoy each and every moment. Oh and Hold her till your hearts content!

Ashley said...

Anonymous- we did switch to Dr. Browns bottles. They helped, but didn't really seem to do the trick. That is why we added gripe water to our regimen. It seems to be helping so far!