March 17, 2014

good enough

It's 6:22am.  Elsie is standing next to me attempting to press every button on my keyboard, ignoring my pleas for her to just look at a book or two.  She's been up since 4:40am.  It's one of those days where whatever happens is just going to have to be good enough.

Lately it has been the same story with my runs.  Forget adding any other kinds of workouts, I haven't been able to muster the will power after dealing with children who don't sleep past 6:00am and a husband on an OB rotation.  There is no getting up early to run unless I want to get up at 5am, and sorry, right now, I just don't.  Especially because even then there is still a good chance my run will get cut short by one of the girls.

Let's not even get started on my eating habits...

I'm still running four times a week, training for a half marathon on April 26th.  In the fall I was incredibly excited for this half.  I imagined my kids would be sleeping well enough, I'd be back at the gym getting stronger, the half is relatively flat.  I was going to kick butt.  2014 was supposed to be all about me (as much as a mother can be all about herself, of course).  Yeah, that isn't going to happen.  But I'm still going to run.

Daily I have to remind myself that not every run will be a good run.  I can't always be faster than the day before.  Sure I could try harder, work harder, make working out more of a priority.  But priorities change.  And right now, I'm just trying to spread myself between all the different aspects of my life.  One day the kids be in school and I won't know what to do with myself right?, I'll have loads of time to run and workout.  It just isn't the case right now.  Once Chris is done with his current rotation, and it is light in the mornings again, and somehow I manage to wean Elsie, running will be easier.  And eventually I'll get the courage to leave her in the gym childcare.  Eventually.

I have learned, that if I really want to get my run in, I just have to make up my mind and do it.  I used to feel like I had to get up and finish my run in the morning or do it on the treadmill after the girls were in bed.  The morning is still my preference.  But I've been sneaking in evening or late afternoon runs if I can pull it off.  And I'm trying to gain confidence running with the stroller.  But man, pushing 55+ pounds is no joke.  My arms get so tired!

With all that rambling, here's to another week of runs, and a 9 mile long run this weekend!

Oh, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

 

Please share your health and fitness related posts below!
 

1 comment:

Liz Runningmomma said...

It is so hard to balance everything with just one child, I can imagine 2 would be difficult! Good luck with your training!