Alright, now that we have that out of the way... for my birthday I wanted a cake. My mom makes cakes for people's birthdays and I wanted one too. But I've sworn off most dairy because it seems to keep Elsie from having terrible reflux. I was pretty sure that a little bit of dairy wouldn't completely mess her up (hence the reason I didn't find an alternative to chocolate chips in the frosting) but I wanted to cut out as much dairy as possible.
Thanks to instagram I knew Rachel (@rachel32004) was dairy free so I sought out her expertise. She didn't disappoint! Of course I can never leave a recipe well enough alone so we messed with it a bit, but I'm happy with the outcome, and enjoyed my birthday just a little bit more. The recipe intended for the cake to be baked in a 9x13 pan, and you can mix the ingredients right in the pan, but I wanted a round cake (cuter, duh) so we mixed it all in a bowl.
Dairy Free Chocolate Cake with Strawberries
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cold water
- Fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cocoa into your bowl.
- Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into the second and vanilla into the third. Pour cold water over all and stir well with a fork.
- Divide your batter into two round cake pans. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool. Frost the first layer with your choice of frosting. Top with a layer of strawberry slices. Place second cake layer on top and frost the entire cake.
Easy Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Combine everything but the powdered sugar in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30-40 seconds, whisk until chocolate chips melt. Return to microwave if the chips won't yet melt.
- Once the chips have melted whisk in powdered sugar.
- Spread your frosting while it is still warm.
This frosting recipe was found on The Yummy Life. Be sure to check her site for other ingredient combinations for a full dairy version, and how to make other flavors of frosting. Such an easy recipe!