October 20, 2014

number six

Half marathons that is.

I have run six half marathons in the last three years.  Some people will read that and think 'oh my gosh that's amazing', while other people might read that and think 'congrats, wanna cookie?'  For some people a half marathon is no big deal.  For some people it seems unattainable.  And some people just plain don't care about running so there's that.  :o)

What is important to me is to remember how far I've come, every time I finish a race.  Saturday wasn't my best race.  I've made some poor food choices the last couple of weeks, and I certainly felt it during the first nine miles of the race.  I had to stop at that point and use the bathroom.  Something I've never done, even when I was pregnant.  By mile eleven I was feeling gassed.  I hadn't grabbed any fuel to run with, and hadn't slept well the night before, so I hit a wall.  My training definitely wasn't the greatest either.  All of these things added up to a less than stellar race.  BUT.  I finished.  And I pushed until the end.  And I am proud to earn that sixth medal.

photo(106)
post 13.1 with my favorite 5k finishers!

Three and a half years ago running a 5k seemed like such a daunting task.  I struggled through the first few weeks of the C25K, wanting to die during each and every run.  If felt so hard.  Now three miles is my short run.  I seriously still can't believe I've fallen in love with running.  Sure there are some days I don't want to do it.  Sitting on the couch watching HGTV or staying in my warm cozy bed or reading a good book, they all often sound way more fun than lacing up my shoes and hitting the pavement.  But the satisfaction I feel when I finish a run is so much greater.

This is the first time I've signed up for two halfs in one season.  I've got another one on the calendar less than three weeks away.  Thankfully this is the first season I haven't felt burnt out by the time I finished a race.  I wasn't as dedicated to my training this time around, and while that may sometimes be a bad thing, I think I'm finally settling in to a good point in my life.  I'm taking it more in stride and realizing that missing one run won't kill me, only running 4 instead of 5 once in a while won't ruin my ability to finish a race.  Thus I'm not as anxious for the running season to come to a close.

Plus, as I've said, fall is by far my FAVORITE running seasoning!

2 comments:

Liz Runningmomma said...

That is awesome! I hope your half in a couple weeks is more enjoyable!

Kristin said...

Way to go!! I've done 5 and I love them. I feel like they are the perfect long distance race. I will do a marathon, someday, but I don't feel like that will be a distance I try to regularly do... Keep it up mama! You are doing great and what a great inspiration you are to your girls!