June 5, 2012

ryann's yellow and grey nursery

Well, my current goal is to have Ryann in a 'big girl bed' by the end of the summer.  When she starts back to Mother's Day Out in the fall, she will be sleeping on a cot.  And I'm hoping we need the crib for another little babe sometime in the next year, so why not go for it, right?  She hasn't climbed out since the one time she attempted it and I scared the crap out of her, but she frequently swings a leg over the top of the rails just to tease me.  So better to be proactive I suppose.

I figured before I went and switched her room all up, I better share some pictures of it as a nursery.  I never really finished the nursery, in the sense that I never got artwork up on the walls.  And there were a few little things here or there that I wanted to do.  But overall I still love Ry's room, and I think she does too.  I'll do my best to give a source list at the end of the post, but I did put this room together over two years ago...

And um, please excuse the wonky lighting and poor editing of these photos.  Currently I'm in the it is better done than perfect mode, so you get what you get and you don't throw a fit :o).

RyannsNursery1
RyannsNursery2
RyannsNursery3Web
RyannsNursery4
RyannsNursery5
RyannsNursery6
RyannsNursery7Web
RyannsNursery8
RyannsNursery9

A couple of random things to note... I made the hair clip holder the same way many people have put together a jewelry organizer.  Just glued (with liquid nails) a piece of radiator cover (that you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot) into an open back frame.  I wanted a mirror for my grouping, but couldn't find one the right size.  But you know they sell frameless mirrors right?  I grabbed an 11x14 mirror from Michaels and stuck in a frame.  Woot, perfect sized mirror.

The changing pad has a sheet of rubber shelf liner underneath it.  It doesn't hold it completely in place, but definitely keeps it from sliding around.

I hand stenciled the wall with the help of my friend Katelynn, and the hubby of course.  You can read about how we did it here.

I spent a LOT of time in that rocker during Ryann's first year.  And it shows.  My dark jeans definitely rubbed off on the fabric.  Just something to think about.  Or maybe you are wiser than me and know how to avoid that/get the color out!

We used breathable bumpers in the crib from when Ry was around three months, to around ten months.  A lot of people go completely without, but she was ALWAYS stuck in the rails, so we got the breathable ones (kid is a crazy sleeper, just like her daddy.  we have a king bed for a reason).  By ten months I personally felt comfortable with her having the pretty ones in, even though that is against current recommendations.  To each their own.

And the source list:

Let me know if you have any questions about something!  I'm excited to re-decorate (probably, we haven't decided if Ry will stay put or move to the guest room or whatnot...) and create a big girl room, but I'll be kind of sad to see this room go.  It is definitely my favorite room in our house right now.

19 comments:

Sandra Kohlmann said...

Yowza! Ryann's nursery is fancier than any room in my house. Can you come decorate for me?

Meredith S said...

I've loved her room since I first read the step by step of decorating it! I can't wait to hear what you decide to do (moving her vs keeping her in this room). I've started thinking about the same situation for my little one and I can't make up my mind...

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

Oh my gah!! Stop it. This is way too cute!!

Sweet As Boys said...

this has been my favorite nursery since you did this 2 years ago! i so wish i had a girl, but now i have a boy and one boy on the way. :( very pretty nursery!

Meredith said...

I really, really love her room. It is such a good room to grow up with--heck, I could see even a teenager liking it (though I'm sure she'll probably want something else just to be contrary, right, lol?!).

PS- We are in the SAME situation with Lizzy's glider, only made worse because of Justin's work pants. We didn't love the glider we have at all, so we'll probably sell it in favor of a good old rocking chair we have, and I have GOT to figure out a way to clean it first!

Sandy said...

Her room was the way I found you, way back when! And, I still love it today.

My husband and I just finished building my little man his toddler bed, and I am super excited to redo his room and finally get some art up on the walls! I am excited to post about it!

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Jenny said...

I have always loved this room! I sure wish they had Hobby Lobby where I live... My daughter, Ruby, needs a cute R like that!!!

Ashley Antkowiak said...

Her nursery is gorgeous. I remember that rug from a post you did a while ago, and it's still my favorite!

I always love reading your blog. Your kiddo is adorable and your photos are always so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your life with us! :)

Ashley said...

LOVE her room!

Amy Nielson said...

this is amazing! definitely one that deserves to be drooled over & admired all over pinterest :)

Unknown said...

omg beautiful room. I am in love with those curtains too!

Noe said...

I haven't seen it before so I'm Glad you posted this! OMG! even though this was 2 years ago this is really up to date and has such a modern vibe! I'm in love with it!
Hope she likes it as much as I do.. LOL..

Amber said...

Perfect! Love the colours and those curtains! Nicely done!

Amber said...

absolutely love her room! You did such a fabulous job on it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful room! Where is the chandelier from?

Ashley said...

Claudia, I believe we got the chandelier from Lowes. I'm not 100% sure on that though, we bought it before the room was meant to be a nursery! It was a few years ago...

Kelly said...

So gorgeous! I'm expecting in May and thinking of doing a gray & yellow nursery too. I wanted to pin this blog post as a reminder of all these great looks, but it looks like the images aren't allowed to be pinned, even from this page at the source. Bummer!

I'll try to remember to come back here though. :)

Hanna said...

Hi!!! Beuatiful nursery! You have amazing taste and real talent! Where did you get the wallpaper?

Anonymous said...

Love the room! Any idea where the light fixture came from? Thank you so much.