November 27, 2013

a day in the life - nikki

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!  I am so anxious for the next 6-7 hours to go by so we can kick off the four day weekend (YES, my husband has all four days off!  SCORE).  But first, please keep Berkeley in your prayers today, she is having some tests done, and could be declared in remission today if all goes well.  That would be something to be VERY thankful for.

And now, enjoy a day in the life of Nikki.  It sounds like a pretty decent day to me!  :o)


Hi! My name is Nikki,  and I blog over at Nikki's Nacs. I am a wife and stay-at-home mama to 2 little boys ages 8 and 3. I had planned to share a "typical" day in our life, but it turned into a not-so- typical day very quickly. Oh, and I should probably mention that I homeschool our boys. 7:12 - I am awake 18 minutes before my alarm goes off. I am normally up at 7, but it's Friday and we don't have much to do so I thought I would sleep in a bit. I already hear the boys stirring around, so I jump in the shower and then get dressed.
8:00 - I come head down stairs to start breakfast. The boys request waffles, so waffles it is.
8:15 - My Friday morning coffee arrives. My husband has breakfast every Friday with a group of guys and is sweet enough to bring me coffee. Sometimes I get breakfast, too.
Planner is from Confessions of a Homeschooler.
8:30 - We start school for the day. Fridays are usually really short days for us. Today is our last day before Thanksgiving break, so we speed through everything pretty fast. 9:10 - We are done with school for the day. I fold some laundry while the boys color at the table.
I can't make this stuff up.
10:00 - The boys and I load up for a quick run to Lowe's. I have spent a good portion of the last 2 days painting the playroom. I'm still not done, but I need to see if I can find a better option for lighting in this room.
11:00 - We get home from Lowe's and see that our neighbor has a bounce house for the day. This is when our typical day turns into a not-so-typical day. The boys go jump. 11:05 - The house is quite and I am hungry. I never did eat any breakfast. I make myself a sandwich and watch a show that I missed because I was painting last night. This is a very nice treat to actually sit down and eat my lunch. I knew my day had been made when I saw that bounce house. 12:15 - The boys finally come home for a QUICK lunch and then Cade heads back out to jump.
12:30 - Cade is gone, so I make Henry take a nap. He is not thrilled, but he cooperates. He knows that the sooner he takes his nap, the sooner he can go jump. 12:35 - I have a quiet house again, so it is time to try to put the playroom back together. I still need to paint the stripes on one wall, but decide it needs to wait until next week. Of course this means that I go through all of the toys and reorganize everything because we moved one of bookcases out. 1:45 - Henry is up. I watch him walk to the neighbors house so that he can jump with Cade. I should probably also mention that I can see the boys through the window in the playroom that I am putting back together, so they are being watched. I really could not have planned this out any better. (The boys come in and out to get water and snacks a few times, but never stay for more than a couple of minutes.) 5:15 - I am sooooo close to having everything put back together. I decided that I better stop for a few minutes and get dinner going. The boys are still across the street. The birthday party officially starts in 15 minutes, so it will still be a while before they come home. 6:00 - Asher and I sit down to have dinner. Alone. The boys are still partying across the street. 6:30 - We clean up the kitchen and then I finish putting all of the random stuff from organizing and painting away. 7:00 - I work on some laundry. 7:30 - The birthday party across the street is officially over, so I go get the boys and drag them home. I may have let them stay later since it is Friday night, but we are leaving to go out of town in the morning and I know that they will be exhausted from all of this jumping they have done all day. 7:40 - I bathe Henry while Cade takes a shower down stairs. We have to get this done quick tonight.
8:00 - Henry realizes that he is hungry, so I give him a bowl of cereal. (They had pizza at the party and he is not a pizza eater. He ate chips and cake.) 8:15 - Bedtime routines for two very sleepy boys and then lights are out.
8:30 - I come back downstairs and then Asher and I veg out on the couch with coffee and some tv. 10:00 - It's bedtime for this girl. It has been a long, productive day. 1. What is the most surprising thing to you about being a mom? How fast they grow up. 2. What advice would you give to new or soon-to-be mamas? To follow your gut and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. 3. What are your top three baby products? It has been a good while since I had babies, but my favorites were the itzbeen, a good bouncy seat, and Target brand diapers. They are so much cheaper than they name brands I used with my first baby and worked really well for us.


Thanks for sharing with us Nikki!

No comments: