July 2, 2014

a day in {my} life

My ideas for things to blog about are pretty scarce, so I figured I'd throw in another 'day in the life'.  It has been four months or so since I did the last one.  I didn't take that great of notes, and my pictures are far from my best, but oh well.

It is Wednesday, June 25th.  Ryann is 4 years 2 months and Elsie is 16 months old.  I'm on day 28 of a Whole30 challenge!


5:50am: I wake up to our door clicking open.  And then Ryann is standing next to me.  "I'm not tired anymore." Ugh.  I send her back to her room to play for a bit and try to wake up.  Not more than five minutes later I hear E cry out.  Blech.  The day is just so dang long when it starts for everyone at 6am.  I roll out of bed, go to the bathroom and throw on some running clothes.  When I come back out and check the monitor, Elsie isn't making any noise anymore and Ryann seems content in her room, so I lay back down in bed and play on my phone.

6:37am: I decide if I'm going for a run I better just suck it up and do it.  I let Chris know I'm leaving (he's still home today since he is working noon-10pm) and attempt to sneak out of the house.  My run was meh.  I maintained under a 10 minute pace for the most part, and I didn't take any walk breaks, but it just felt hard.  Thankfully it was only 66 degrees.  It still felt warmish, but I'm much happier when it is under 70 when I start.

7:12am:  Back home.  I'm surprised to find just Ryann and Chris in the family room, Elsie is apparently still sleeping.  Odd, but I'll take it for sure.  I head to the kitchen to start making breakfast, and within minutes I hear E.  Of course.  Ryann eats a couple of muffins, Chris turns on Wild Kratts for her, and then he goes to grab Elsie out of her crib.  Her and I share some of my sausage skillet and she has a Vans waffle as well.


8:00am:  We pause the morning cartoons to go brush our teeth and get dressed.  I fix Ryann's hair, get my clothes on, get the diaper bag ready, and grab the kids.


8:42am:  We're in the car on the way to dance.  I put Ryann in some classes at a different studio this summer, just to give it a try.  Something about where we were rubbed me the wrong way, so I figured why not.  I danced with one of the teachers at this new studio and she seemed pretty darn happy with it, so might as well.  It is slightly further from home but not too bad.  Ry is taking the 'mini company' classes.  I'm not sure we're ready to handle all that comes with the company, but I was looking for classes with a little more structure.  So far even though it is all a little over her head, Ryann has loved taking the classes, and everyone has been very nice.  Which is good because we spend two hours there this morning!  (And a little over an hour there on Thursday mornings!)  Elsie spends some of the time eating a snack, some time getting in to things she shouldn't and checking out what the other kids are doing, and a good chunk of time coloring with the Color Wonder markers.

11:24am:  Back at home and time to make lunch (seriously, I swear I make food and clean the kitchen all day).  I have to go between the kitchen and the family room, pulling Elsie off of things she shouldn't and stopping her from tormenting the cat.  At one point she smells NASTY so I have to pause the lunch making to deal with that situation.  By this point they are both whining because I obviously never feed them and they're starving or something.

11:52am:  We all sit down to lunch.  Whew, a few moments to relax...


12:14pm:  Haha, not really.  As soon as I'm finished with my lunch I start working on the disaster of a kitchen.  The dishes piled up a little because I needed to run the dishwasher, now it is time to unload it.  I attempt to get it done while the girls are finishing their lunch, but it is pretty much one of Elsie's favorite things to do and she starts freaking out in her chair.  "Helm pease! Helm pease!" Which is the equivalent of help please.  I'm much faster on my own but I'm pretty sure she is going to hurt herself if I don't let her out.  Which leads to both girls helping me unload the dishwasher.  When it is empty I try to convince them to play elsewhere so I can finish cleaning the kitchen and load up the dirty dishes.  It is almost a lost cause because Elsie keeps coming back to try and help unload.


12:31pm:  I put Miss Elsie Belsie in her crib for a nap.  She always protests, but it isn't long before she quiets down and goes to sleep.  I browse instagram while Ryann eats a couple of twizzlers (she gets a sweet treat if she finishes all her food).  When she is done we head to the basement (dungeon) to sort some laundry.  When we get back upstairs she busies herself playing in her kitchen, so I sit down to read some blogs on my phone.  I decide I should try and take a picture of her playing, which of course leads her to request my presence as a playmate.  After a little bit she decides she wants to work in her cutting and tracing book.  It doesn't last very long because she gets frustrated with the scissors.


2:14pm:  I decide to sneak back to the bedroom to get my swimsuit on.  Which obviously wakes up Elsie.  I quickly put on my suit and grab Elsie.  Ryann picks out a swimsuit and gets herself dressed.  I sit the two of them down with a snack and finish putting together a bag for the pool.  Elsie is taking FOREVER to eat her apple slices, so eventually I sneak one and eat it and take her to get her suit on.

3:09pm:  We're in the car and on the way to the pool.  Except for just as we reach the end of our neighborhood I realize I left the stupid puddle jumper in the garage.  So we loop back, I run in and grab the puddle jumper and we're on our way again.  While driving I get a text mentioning cash.  Oh lovely, the pool only takes cash and I have approximately none.  GAH.  Thankfully Steph says she has got me covered.  Whew, because we would have been WAY late if I had to stop for cash. 

When we finally arrive at the pool and everyone is greased up with sunscreen, the girls have a great time.  For the most part anyway.  Ryann wanted to do the water slide, but above it was a big giant bucket of water that dumped occasionally.  That completely scared the crap out of her.  She tried to go up there a couple of times, but freaked out each one.  I did convince her to give it one last go, with a promise of Stephanie catching her at the bottom, and me walking her up to the top and shielding her from the bucket if it dumped.  Success.  She only did it once more, but at least she did it!


5:14pm:  Crap, we better get our butts home!

5:41pm:  We pull back in the driveway, definitely a little later than I wanted to get home.  Ryann is pouting about something and flings herself on the couch.  When she sits up her nose is pouring out blood.  You have got to be kidding me.  I tell her to run to the bathroom while throwing all of our stuff down and getting Elsie in the house.  Ryann gets bloody noses a lot, and she is a hot mess every time.  She spits the blood and swats at my hands when I try to pinch her nose.  I strip her clothes off and turn on the water while trying to stop the bleeding.  She tells me her sunglasses smacked her nose.  Oy.  Looks like she's getting a bath now, both her and the tub are covered with blood.

6:00pm:  Ryann is all cleaned up and in pjs so it is time to get dinner going.  The two crazies head off to play in the family room.  I overhear Ryann talking to Elsie, "Elsie, ELSIE! You want me to teach you to do a tendu?" "Yeah!" Hearing them actually play together is the cutest thing ever.  Until they start fighting and I have to sprint in there before Elsie bites Ry, but hey.  There is some cute.  I've got nuggets in the oven for Ryann (because she eats nuggets every freaking day for dinner #parentingfail), shrimp and mushrooms in the wok, and leftover veggies ready to go in the microwave.

6:25pm:  Everyone's plates are finally on the table.  Just as I'm sitting down to eat the damn cat pukes on the hardwoods.  Seriously.  At least it was the hardwood?  #(*&%@!*$  Elsie refuses to eat the shrimp, and Ryann turns her nose up at the few pieces I put on her plate.  Come on kiddos, I cooked a good meal!  I enjoyed it.  You should too.


6:55pm:  We've all eaten what we're going to, so I take Elsie to put her in some pajamas.  Then I get a little snack/sweet treat for the two of them and set them up with a movie so I can wash the dishes.


7:27pm:  The dishes are clean and it is time for the littlest to go to bed.  We stop in the bathroom to wash her face because apparently she smeared chocolate chips all over it.  Teeth brushing is also in order, then we're off to her room to read a couple books.  She has picked I Love You Through And Through and Five Little Pumpkins the last several nights.  I don't even know how Five Little Pumpkins surfaced, I swear it was packed with the Halloween stuff.  Whatever.  After books I play a song on my phone while we rock a bit.  Some hugs and kisses and I lay her in her bed.

7:45pm:  Ryann's turn to get ready for bed.  We read a book and watch an educational video on my phone (thanks for that part of the routine Christopher. sarcasm).  Then to the bathroom to brush teeth and go potty.  Last step of the night is trying to make room in her bed amongst all of her 'buddies' to actually sleep.  I snuggle with her until she is snoozin'.

8:30pm:  Both girls are sleeping.  Huzzah.  I head to the basement to switch the laundry again and then I load up So You Think You Can Dance.  Love that show so much.  Can't believe I've been watching it for what, 10 years?  Ever since the first season.  You aren't supposed to snack while doing a Whole30, but I've got guacamole in the fridge that isn't going to last much longer, so that and some plantain chips from Trader Joes make their way to the couch with me.

10:11pm:  The show is over.  I can't decide if I'm thrilled with this season's Top 20 or not, but I'm excited for the actual competition to begin, so who cares.  I text Chris and he says he is finishing up at work, so I decide to stay up until he gets home.  I play on my computer, check instagram like 12 times, pick up the family room, make myself switch the laundry and turn on HGTV.  Oh HGTV.  It sucks me in every time.  I can't wait until we have a new house.  I'm excited to have a new space to decorate (despite the fact that I never really 'finished' the rooms in our current house).

11:24pm:  Chris walks in the door.  It took him longer than he expected to get out the door, and he stopped to pick up food on his way home.  So it is definitely past my bedtime.  But we chat about our days in the family room for a little while.

11:55pm:  Crawl in to bed and pass out.  Morning is going to come way too soon.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm not loving this top 20 either haha No one has really grabbed me and gotten me on their team yet.