January 13, 2015

elsie - twenty three months

And here we are.  One month shy of Elsie's second birthday.  I can't handle it.  Elsie has brought so much joy in to our lives, and I can't believe my littlest girl is going to be two!  Cue the tears.  I'm getting emotional.

IMG_6983

My best guess is that Elsie is around 26.5 pounds.  I haven't a clue how tall she is.  Pretty tall compared to her friends.  She is in mostly 2T clothes, with a few 18-24 month items that still work.  Poor thing though, she is shoved in an 18 month onesie for these photos.  This was the last time we were going to need it, we don't have any 24 month onesies, so... sorry kid.  Next month I'll have a shiny new shirt for you to wear, promise!  Elsie is wearing size 6 shoes and size five diapers.  I think my favorite pair of her boots are starting to get a touch small, but I'm pretending it's not happening.  I should have bought them in another size or two!

Nap and bedtime has become a whole lot of fun.  Elsie is still a relatively good sleeper, however she has taken to tossing everything out of her crib, and then crying for us to come give it back to her.  And at night when she strips off her pajamas and throws all her blankets out of her bed, when it feels like -11 outside, I feel like we have no choice but to go back in there.  It is going to start being a tough love situation pretty soon.  And I'm worried that we need to switch her to a bed soon anyway.  I know she could climb out of the crib if she wanted to.  She easily swings her legs over the top.  She just hasn't actually done it.  She is usually in bed by 8pm, and is up around 7am.  I lay her down for a nap at 1pm, and she actually sleeps from about 1:45-4.  She spends so long just messing around before she lays down to go to sleep.

IMG_7031

Elsie loves to sing songs and is getting pretty great with the ABCs.  Sometimes she gets tripped up, but for the most part she does good.  She can regularly pick out E, O, R and Y in print, but otherwise we haven't done much on letter recognition.  I know it isn't a necessary important thing right now, but I think she COULD learn them, so whenever she is willing we might as well go for it, right?  She is great with her colors and most shapes, and can count to like 15 or 16.  She can also count down from 3.  Not a huge feat, but she'll say "3-2-1!" before heading off to do something.

IMG_6972
spaz.  for sure.

E has also gotten a lot more interested in her books lately.  If I take the time to just sit and read to her, she'll listen for a good half an hour.  She tries to read them all with me, too.  She has gotten pretty good at reciting some of her favorites.  We regularly read I Love You Stinky Face, Smile Pout Pout Fish, What's Wrong Little Pookie and the Belly Button Book.  She has also picked up on the fact that all the letters and such are words, and will point to a page or sign or pamphlet, anything with words, and ask "what these words say?"  Pretty cute.

She's still my little helper, loving unloading the dishwasher and doing laundry.  And now whenever I vacuum she busts out her mini Dyson she got for Christmas and gets to work as well.  But her newest task has been unloading the bags or groceries when we get home from the store.  And she started it completely unprompted.  One day we really need to do dishes so the counter was full, therefore I set the bag of groceries on the floor.  I had to do something, I can't remember what, but I didn't get right to the groceries.  I came back in to the kitchen to find her taking stuff out of the bags and putting it the best place she could come up with.  She got several pantry items put away correctly, and had corralled fridge items together.  Then she pulled out a package of wipes and took them to her room.  I was impressed, and she was so happy to be helping.

IMG_7016

Elsie's vocabulary has gotten to the point where I don't think there is much that she doesn't know or understand.  And if a word confuses her, she'll say "what? what you say?"  Some of my favorite phrases this month... I'll ask "Are you poopy?" when I know without a doubt she is, and she'll respond "No, I just fine!"  She hates having her diaper changed.  And when she doesn't want to get her diaper changed or doesn't want me to pick her up, "No Mama! Leave alone me!"  She'll ask me to play with her in the family room, and if I agree she grabs my hand and says "Aw-wight Mommy.  Tome on.  Wets go."  She regularly looks at cute things and says "Awww, so fweet!"  She often gasps at pretty things, or something she finds exciting, and says "Oh my gosh!"

IMG_7000

Miss Elsie is OBSESSED with Hello Kitty.  I have no idea how or why the obsession started, but she can spot a Hello Kitty from a mile away.  Naturally Christopher feeds her love of that little cat, and we've now collected like six different stuffed Hello Kittys, tons of Hello Kitty stickers and coloring books and a Hello Kitty cup.  I admit now when I see a Hello Kitty anything, I think to myself "Elsie would love that!"  But I try to refrain.  I am on the hunt for some cute Hello Kitty pajamas to get her for her birthday though.  Pajamas don't bother me as much as actual shirts and stuff.  I also saw a 50 inch Hello Kitty balloon at Party City, and I just might break down and get it to have at our house on her birthday as well.  Why is making kids happy so much fun?

IMG_7011

Speaking of birthdays, I was all set to have a carousel horse themed party, and then Elsie started telling people she was having a school bus birthday party.  I tried several times to sway her back to the horse side, but no luck.  She talks about her school bus party every day, and pretends she is going to a school bus party all the time.  I'm pretty sure her mind is going to be blown when a bus pulls up in front of our house and she actually gets to get on it.  Yes, I rented a school bus for her birthday party.  I'm crazy, I'm aware.  But it was cheaper than renting a place to have a party, and it is starting to get a bit cramped having a bunch of kids in our house for a party.  So we'll putz around on a bus for a bit and call it good, and the kids will have a blast, right?

IMG_7021  

Over the last couple of weeks Elsie and Ryann have started playing really well together.  Of course they still fight like crazy, but they can actually spend a good 20-30 minutes doing imaginative play together.  It is amazing to watch, and so very cute.  Not to mention I get a little bit of quiet time here and there.  They have a thing for going in the closets with flashlights to 'hide'.  I don't know what goes on in there, but there is an awful lot of giggling, and it just melts my heart.  They also find it hilarious when each other toots or burps.  That's fun.  Ha.  But again, they start laughing so hard and I can't help but smile.  I hope that as they both learn more social skills and how to communicate better, that they play together well even more.

A few more of Elsie's favorite things include coloring, mac n' cheese, the play kitchen and carrying things around in random bags and boxes.  She likes being able to use dip on her food, and can sniff out snacks like it's her job.  I think she would eat all day long if I let her.  She drives me nuts taking off her shoes and socks in the car all the time.  She tries to sing with all the songs on the radio.  Our cat Max is one of her best friends, I don't know how she convinced him to put up with so much tough love.  She wants to be just like her big sister, and is still a total mama's girl.  She says her favorite color is red.  She has to walk or crawl through anything that looks even remotely like a tunnel.

IMG_6961

Elsie girl I can't get over how much I love you.  Sometimes you make me smile so much my cheeks hurt.  Can't believe you're almost two!

No comments: