March 11, 2013

one month postpartum

Somehow my baby is already a month old (I've taken her one month pictures, just have to somehow find the time to write the post!), which means my body is one month post baby.

Still no change in my weight in the last three weeks, but my belly has definitely gotten smaller.  For the most part I can fit into all of my pre-pregnancy clothes, they just don't look quite the same.  My body is soft, and I'm not so happily rockin' a muffin top.  Yes, yes, I know.  It has been one month.  I've got plenty of time to get back into shape.  I'm not stressing too much.  Day by day it just gets a little harder to accept it and not try and change it right away.

1MonthPPComparison
sleep deprivation plus no make-up isn't my best look...

I've done so much better about my chocolate intake this past week.  I've still had a lot of sweets, but I'm taking baby steps.  However I'm thinking doing some sort of sugar free challenge or whole eating challenge might be good for me to curb the sugar addiction.  If you've done something like that I'd love to hear how it went, and what sort of plan you followed!  The hardest part might be convincing my husband to participate with me.  I don't think I could do it alone...

The good news?  I sort of started working out this past week.  It was only three days.  And two days were just a 30 minute walk, but I actually put on my running shoes and moved my body.  And yesterday?  Yesterday I RAN.  Not super fast, but I ran.  I covered just under 3.25 miles in about 36 minutes.  I was surprised how easily my body and legs fell back into a rhythm.  I had to convince myself to walk a bit, and remind myself it is not yet the time to push it.

Today I'm feeling a little bit sore in my pelvis and hips.  No doubt I think I over did it a bit.  I just didn't notice at all while I was running.  My lungs were burning before my legs showed any hint of being uncomfortable.  But getting out there was a HUGE boost to my spirit right now.

My goals for this week are to get in another three workouts, even if they are just walks, and to continue to work on my sugar intake.  Well, and also get some more vegetables in my life.  I'm not sure I ate an actual vegetable all day yesterday.  Probably not good.

 

Link up your health and fitness related posts below!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You look great! I've been slowly rereading your archives today as inspiration for my own losses. You rock, Ashley.

Mindy M Gray said...

Yay, you make me believe I can run at least part of the Disneyland 5k about 2 months after my little miss is born! Although I'm with you on the candy overdoses, they've got to stop!

Ashley said...

Looking great Ashley! When Grace was born I went through a HUGE sugar craving. I personally hate chocolate and we don't eat sugar. I don't keep it in the house and we really limit our sugar intake. So that fact that all I wanted was sugar was so weird to me. I couldn't figure it out. I was eating cups and cups of puppy chow everyday for like 2 months! I asked my midwife and she told me that breastfeeding women often crave sugar. It's important to maintain your blood sugar and that will help with cravings. Once I got back to eating every 3 hours to regulate my blood sugar the cravings went away.

Good luck!

Sarah and Derek said...

You know how much sugar (puppy chow) I consumed after I had Collins. It took being banned from dairy to cut the craving. I just consumed half a bag of peanut butter m&ms though... Glad to hear Ashley's comment above. we can kick this addiction together!

Amber E. Berkoski said...

You look great! And I'm glad you got out there and moved a little bit, I think it probably brightened your spirit a bit!

What are your post-run stretches? I ask because I used to get those kinks before I started yoga and pilates. Now I do 10 minutes three or four days a week and it's increased my flexibility, allowed me to get to my speed back (I think because I've stretched my stride) and reduced the aches post run because I can stretch better after I'm done. I do 2-3 varieties of 15 second stretches for each leg. It's just enough to loosen me up after a run.

Lindsay said...

You look fantastic, way to go momma! I challenged myself to go sugar free including alcohol and artificial sweeteners in the month of Nov 2012. I was 8 months post-partum, and at my pre-preg weight, but everything was still soft. That combined with HIIT training most days, and breast feeding allowed me to lose 10lbs and more importantly tons of inches in Nov. I've since lost another 5lbs and feel better than ever. I am back to eating sugar moderately but plan to go sugar free again April 1st as a personal challenge. I just started blogging at thewellnesschallenge.ca, if you're interested in joining me for April.