November 15, 2012

this and that

I'm feeling like rambling today.  You're welcome.

::  We're painting Baby Sister's nursery this weekend (if anyone has great tips or links to a great post for painting stripes, send it my way!).  I'm so excited to get started on her room.  Of course most of the stuff I'm swooning over is expensive... like this beautiful glider, that doesn't even come in a color I like but I can't let go of, or some of the Caitlin Wilson fabrics.  I'm also obsessed with the Hemnes dresser from Ikea, but Ikea isn't coming to Kansas City until 2014, and shipping the $300 dresser costs $350...  Lame.  But none the less, I actually have ideas and we are actually going to get started and I'm so excited!  I'd be even more excited if Baby Sister had a name...

::  I had my glucose tolerance test this morning.  Man I hate that thing.  I really thought I might throw up the drink before they were going to draw my blood, but I didn't.  I survived, and I PASSED!  Thank goodness.  I'm not sure how I would have done Christmas without a GD diagnosis.

photo(65)
bottoms up!

::  Before Baby Sister makes her arrival, I'm planning to upgrade my camera body and maybe get a new lens.  I've been rocking my Canon Rebel XSi for over four years now, and even though it is still a good camera, the ISO just can't do it for me.  I need some better capabilities.  My dilemma... do I shoot for the Canon 60D or snag the Canon Rebel T4i?  It seems sort of silly to go from a rebel to a rebel, but I've heard decent things about the T4i.  If anyone has any input on that subject I'd love to hear it.

I'm also looking into a new lens.  I love my 50mm, but it just isn't great for indoor shots on a crop sensor.  There are three grabbing my attention, the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8, the Canon EF 35mm f/2 and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.  Can anyone out there weigh in on any of those lenses for me?  :o)  What would I do without my readers...

::  Over the summer we had our foundation repaired, because the center of our house had dropped over an inch, leaving space between our floor and our baseboard and a million cracks throughout our house.  A few weeks ago we had all the cracks in the drywall repaired, and finally last week all the walls were repainted.  Our house has been a chaotic messy disaster for four weeks, but everything has now been put pack in place and cleaned and I feel like I can breathe again.  The best part of the whole situation?  We had the contractor revamp my closet, aka my office, in the family room.  I'm in love...

Screen shot 2012-11-15 at 6.26.36 AM

The space is so much more functional than before.  I'm pretty sure I have some disaterous before photos somewhere, but I'll have to do some digging.  Now I just need to figure out how the heck I'm going to organize it so it stays looking this pretty.

::  I really, REALLY need to start working on our holiday cards and doing some Christmas shopping.  I feel like it is really far away.  But, um, it's not.  Eek!  Good news?  All Ryann wants is some new sight word videos.  Easy to please, I'll take it.

::  Ryann has been exceptionally cute the last few days.  Like super sweet and funny and I actually almost can't get enough of her.  Almost.  But she has gotten TERRIBLE about being at restaurants.  She does not like it.  Complains she wants to go home the whole time and basically I swear tries to make the experience miserable for everyone.  It sucks.  Because I like going out to eat and seeing friends.  She'll also almost never eat what we order her.  Most of the time I bring her food, but the other day she freaking refused Minne Mouse pancakes.  What gives?  Oy.  At least she is cute.

photo(66)

::  Happy Thursday.  Make sure you don't forget about the giveaway!  It ends tonight.    

8 comments:

Ashley said...

have fun painting the nursery. we did chevron stripes in Grace's room and in the middle of the project I wished we were doing just plain 'ol stripes. have fun measuring!! :)

ashley

Anonymous said...

I love my 60D. I like using the swivel screen for really low or really high shots (because I'm short!) and I like that it has a lot of the capabilities of the higher end canon camera's like HD video and highish ISO. But of course, I haven't used another camera body so that's just a thought from someone who's happy with there 60D.

I'm looking forward to grabbing a 24-70mm or 24-105mm when I can afford it. Even though I prefer prime lenses, I need a good multi-purpose lens for travelling.

All the best with your decision.

P.S. Ryann is definitely super cute! I'm so excited to see how different/similar her new little sister will be :)

Erin said...

I had the XTi and upgraded to the T2i and it felt like a HUGE upgrade. Not sure what yours has, but the video and the higher ISO capability were big selling points for me. I also like how lightweight the rebels are, but then I went and got a super heavy lens (that I kind of hate) and negated that. My kit lens broke and I actually kind of miss it. I feel like I need a lighter weight lens option because I never want to take the camera out of the house with the kids anymore!

Mimi said...

We're investing in our first DSLR for my 30th bday and christmas this year (yay)! I did a lot of research and the Canon Rebel T3i and T4i didn't seem to have enough differences to make the T4i the right purchase for us. Everything I read was that unless you wanted really high end video recording to save the $$ and stay with the T3i. I don't have any suggestions regarding a lens. I'm going to purchase what my friend has been using on her really old rebel. She has a baby and has gotten great shots with low indoor light. You can see some of her pictures on her blog. There is a huge difference between her pictures last year and this year because of the lens. Here is the link to the blog. I have to ask her the name of her lens. http://literallyorganized.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I am due I think a week or two before you with my second, a baby boy this time around! I have immensely enjoyed your updates ! We are doing one stripe wall in the nursery room so I would love to hear what you do and how it goes! I hear froggy tape is a must!

kelsey jo said...

My secret to painting stripes is putting a coat of clear glaze on the tape (making sure to let it dry fully) before using your color. It sort of seals the tape on and I have don it three times now and had no seepage and barely any retouching! Also - let the color start drying but NOT fully dry better pulling of the tape. Happy painting! :)

And P.S. as a Mom who had her second boy 2 months ago, I promise I couldn't fully wrap my head around it until he was here and I saw his face. Better then I, like you, some weird sort of denial (or whatever we want to call it) and couldn't picture anything but my first son, Oliver when I thought of Little Brother. Kust thought it might be nice to know you're not completely crazy! :)

Julie S. said...

I just traded my Canon rebel up for a Mark 2-- but almost went with the 60D. The t4i didn't impress me a whole lot! :) good luck!

kyna... said...

60 d is my camera suggestion! And HANDS DOWN the Sigma 30 mm. It lives on my camera 95% of the time. Lightweight, fast, quiet, and RAZOR sharp. I had the Canon 28 and I'm so much happier with the Sigma!