January 10, 2010

beautiful burpies

Thanks to my wonderful mother I am now the proud owner of this gorgeous stack of burp cloths. Now my little one can spit up in style! :o)



A few of the burpies even got the royal treatment with a little bit of embellishing...


Although I didn't actually make them, I can give you an idea as to how it was done. My mom and I went to the fabric store together and picked up some of the 'fat quarters' they had. That was entirely too much fun in itself, so many little squares of bright adorable fabric! For the back side of the cloths she used white chenille.

My mom washed all the fabric first, and then cut them into approximately 9 x 16 rectangles. She sewed the wrong sides of the fabric together (machine sewing three sides), turned them right side out and then finished the remaining edge. Lastly she put a decorative stitch about a quarter of an inch in all the way around to finish them off.


I think they turned out wonderfully and I can't wait to use them!

7 comments:

The Domestic Princess said...

Adorable colors! I have made some and have a tutorial in my blog: http://tinyurl.com/ykwacn4

Kate said...

Those are adorable! I wish I could sew like that - I had a sewing machine for about 2 weeks and the stiches kept dropping, so I returned it. I just didn't have the patience to figre out what was wrong!

Jeane said...

They look adorable!!!!!!

I've made some for my pregnant friends before as well but they never turned out as beautiful as yours. I'll just never become friends with chenille. I find it soooo hard to sew and I thought it'd get better the more I make but I still mess up alot. Love the little embellishments!!!

ThoughtsON said...

Those are SO cute! I love the fabrics!

Amy said...

I LOVE these!!!!

The Barkemeyers said...

Ashley I LOVE those burp cloths. And lucky for me, my mom can sew too, so I am sure when it's time for a Baby Barkemeyer to come around, we will have to borrow this idea. They are so cute. Your baby is going to be so stylish!

Whitney said...

You are the cutest pregnant girl ever, and you will be the cutest mama, too! I just adore these. Wish I had an excuse to buy adorable fabric squares.