January 20, 2010

Shrimp Lo Mein

This fine evening my amazing husband cooked me a delicious dinner! (That was a lot of adjectives :o) The recipe for shrimp lo mein came from the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine that I received in the mail. I have Chris's grandma, Ladonna, to thank for the subscription!!


This dish was very tasty and I highly recommend it. And come on, if Chris can make it, it can't be too hard right? :o) Just kidding hubbs!!

Ingredients:
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cloves of garlic, minced
6 ounces uncooked whole wheat linguine
4 tsp cornstarch
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry
2 tsp honey
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 celery rib, sliced
1 medium carrot, chopped
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup fresh broccoli florets
2 tbsp chopped cashews
1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine the shrimp and garlic; set aside. Cook linguine according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water, ketchup, soy sauce, sherry, honey, ginger and red pepper flakes until blended. Set aside.
3. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry shrimp in 1 tbsp oil for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with slotted spoon and keep warm.
4. Stir-fry celery and carrots in remaining oil for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, broccoli and cashews; stir-fry 4-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
5. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain linguine; stir into skillet. Add shirmp and pineapple; heat through.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

Yum! That looks delicious. I may have to convince my hubby to make it this weekend!

I've given you the Sunshine Award so come over and claim it!

http://www.craftygirlblog.com

Jeni

Lauren said...

Oh my gosh! This sounds deeeeelish!! I am literally drooling on my keyboard!