October 13, 2010

a day in the life - laura

Happy hump day everyone!  Enjoy a day in the life of Laura!
 Hi everyone, my name is Laura Anderson and my blog is titled This Adventure Called Life. My husband and I live in sunny Florida, and we welcomed our son Aiden into the world on April 1st, 2010 (yes, he is an April Fool's baby!) I also have a 13 year old stepdaughter Juliet that lives with her mom in Pennsylvania. I am currently staying home full time with Aiden, and am LOVING the opportunity to do so.

The Fam
My husband is a contractor with our local Air Force Base. I am planning to go back to school next fall, so our days will be very different this time next year, but for now here's how a typical day goes:

4:30 a.m.: Aiden wakes up crying, I give him a minute to see if he will settle back down, but who am I kidding? I go in and nurse him for 20 minutes, and then it's back to bed for both of us.

6:30 a.m.: Well that was fast, little man is awake again, and this time for good. I get him up, change his diaper, start some coffee, and nurse him again. I swear this child is going through a growth spurt, but then I've been saying that for months. After we nurse we go make sure daddy is up for work and take him some coffee. He's been pulling some late nights since Halo Reach came out, so the coffee is much appreciated. Aaron plays with Aiden for a few minutes before he starts getting ready to go.

8:00 a.m.: Aaron leaves for work and I feed Aiden some rice cereal mixed with breast milk for breakfast. I also make some cereal for myself, and mine looks waay more appetizing than his. Aiden, however, does not seem to care and he eats with reckless abandon. The mood changes quickly and he decides that he cannot be happy another minute without a nap. I put him in his crib and he's out. Once he's down I take the opportunity to get caught up on some things I have been putting off for too long. I also load the dishwasher, straighten all the random odds and ends that are out of place, and change into my running clothes.

9:30 a.m.: Little man is awake, babbling to himself in his crib. I change his diaper, gather our supplies, and plop him into his jogging stroller (I guess it's really my jogging stroller, as he doesn't so much jog yet).

We head out into the gorgeous fall day and bust out 4 miles. I am so stoked about the under 90 degree weather that it only feels like 2 or 3. On our way back home we swing by the park a few blocks from the house and sit down to enjoy the view for a few minutes. 

11 a.m.: We arrive home to discover that daddy's work load was extra light today, so he is home! We hang out and play for a few minutes. Aiden is starting to act fussy so I take him into his room and nurse and rock him. He conks out pretty quickly. I put him in his crib and go take a quick shower, then I make myself lunch, leftover pork picatta and couscous, delish! I sit down in front of the computer to check in on the blog/facebook scene, but Cox cable is fail and I have no internet. I decide that this is God's way of telling me I have earned a nap, and I don't argue. Apparently God told my husband the same thing, as he is already sound asleep in our bed. Those 3 hour workdays really take it out of you! I snuggle up with him and doze off .

12 p.m.: Aiden subconsciously sensed that both his parents were napping, and decided that was unacceptable. I get up from my power nap, change his diaper, and we sit down to play for a few minutes. He loves his new toy piano grandma bought him, so we rock out for a few minutes. This excitement is too much for his stomach, and he spits up a LOT. This one is requiring a wardrobe change, so I take care of that.

1 p.m.: I decide that I should probably take back those library books that were due last week, so I load Aiden up and we head to the library. Unfortunately using one's "inside voice" is a learned behavior, and at 6 months of age Aiden is so not there yet, so we beeline it around the library to get some new books as quickly as possible. I take him back to the huge tropical fish tank and we stand there for 15-20 minutes. He doesn't utter a single sound, he is mesmerized by the fish! We check out our books and head outside, find a nice swing in the shade and read for a few minutes.

Swinging by the library

2:30 p.m.: Back home, time to nurse and nap again. While he's napping I play a few rounds of Halo with the hubs, he's got me addicted too!

4:30 p.m.: Aiden's up again, dad gets him, changes his diaper and they play for a few minutes. I take him into his room and he plays independently on the floor for a few minutes. He loves tummy time and can entertain himself pretty well.

6:00 p.m. I start on dinner and Aiden plays for a few minutes in his new johnny jump up. He's not sure what he thinks about it yet, and gets bored pretty quickly. He's acting very fussy, so I rock him and he goes down for a short nap. I finish cooking our dinner and get Aiden's dinner ready for him when he wakes up. I'm making his baby food myself, and tonight he's having peas that have been steamed and pureed.

7:00 p.m.: Aiden's up, so we sit down at the table and eat dinner. We start experimenting with a sippy cup, which seems to be a success! He definitely likes the peas too, in fact he's liked every food he's tried so far...he's his mother's son, what can I say?

7:30 p.m.: Bath time for Aiden, we normally take turns bathing him and cleaning up the kitchen-works out pretty well! Aiden loves bath time and spends most of it trying to eat his toes. He is amazingly flexible...I'm jealous.

8:00 p.m.: Aiden is bathed, pj'ed, and kissed goodnight by dad. I nurse and rock him in his room, and he's out within 10 minutes! Goodnight Aiden!

10:30 p.m.: I fall asleep on the couch, the hubs wakes me up and I stumble to bed...goodnight to me too!

Questions from Ashley:
1. What is the most surprising thing to you about being a mother?
I do agree with all the moms that say how surprising it is just how much you love your child right away. I also think that it's surprising how it starts to come naturally, you start to learn the type of cry and how to interpret those facial expressions. You begin to know this little human being so closely and you just want to wrap him up and guard him from anything and everything bad out there. A mother's love is fierce.

2. What are some tips you would give to new moms, or soon to be mommas? 
No matter how prepared you try to be you will forget something. Relax, there will still be stores after the baby comes. Take advantage of friends and family and stay as rested as possible. Don't worry about the house, etc. relax a little and enjoy the beginning of this journey with your little one. 

3. What are your top three baby products? 
  1. I love the Total Baby IPhone app, it really helped me keep up with those feedings even when I could hardly remember my name due to sleep deprivation.
  2. Every family needs a baby swing, those things are so darn handy! 
  3. Teething rings are my new favorite. Nothing beats a cold teething ring, seriously.
Thank you everyone for letting me share a day in our life. It's not very glamorous, but what it lacks in glamour it makes up for in so many other ways!

Thank you Laura, for sharing a day in your life.  And all of you readers out there, make sure you don't forget about the headband giveaway!

No comments: