March 10, 2012

cloud dough

Really I wanted to publish this post yesterday.  But Thursday night I was just plain too lazy (and tired) to edit photos.  I just didn't have it in me.  And was busy for most of the day yesterday.  So Saturday it is!

Lately I've been slacking on being intentional with Ryann.  We've fallen into a routine, which is good, but I haven't taken the time to come up with new activities or educational projects to keep her little wheels turning.  And there isn't any excuse.  It isn't complicated to do these little projects.  I just have to do it.  When Melissa posted about doing something intentional with her daughter everyday during lent, it was the little kick in the pants I needed to put a few little activities into action.  One of them was cloud dough, which of course I found via pinterest..

IMG_2766

This stuff is ridiculously easy to make.  All you need is some flour, some baby oil, and something to put it in.  I picked up a couple of storage bins at Walmart (for about $5 each, I'm sure you could find them cheaper, but it was less than the $12 ones I saw at Target!) so I could just pop the lid on when we were done playing.  To make your cloud dough use your hands to mix together eight cups of flour with one cup of baby oil.  Your mixture should look crumbly.

The texture is rather addicting.  I think both Ryann and I spent a good fifteen minutes just running the stuff through our hands.  It can be molded into shapes and towers, but easily crumbles with a little pressure.  We've been playing in it with spoons, bowls and cups.  Ryann absolutely loves it.

IMG_2755
IMG_2759

Just be warned, this stuff is a wee bit messy.  It is pretty easily cleaned up with a vacuum and mop (or Swiffer Wet Jet in my case), but I'd suggest an apron, or smock, taking the wee one out of their clothes, or just planning on an outfit change :o).

IMG_2779

What fun and easy toddler projects or activities have you done?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I had not seen this one yet! I too try to do one intentional activity with Nicholas each week day.....this will be added to our list. Thanks!

Melissa said...

I'm SO going to do this! Thank you!
And, I love that last shot. Looks like she had a blast!

Emily said...

We have used a lot of the ideas from the following blog:
http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/
My son is always so much more content during the day after doing something creative.

Heather said...

I love this!! Gonna have to try this out!!

mandie lane said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing. I may save it for when it's warm enough to do it outside ... the mop thing sounds like a lot of work. ;)

Nikki said...

That looks like fun. I have a rainbow toast activity I'm going to try and blog about. Stay tuned!