March 19, 2012

my enemy

First, I apologize for being a little late with this post today.  But come on, I was busy watching my Jayhawks last night, and simply couldn't pull myself away from the TV to write a post.  It wasn't pretty, but the boys pulled it out.  ROCK CHALK BABY!

Secondly, I wanted to respond to the comments I received last week, I really appreciate your advice and feedback!  Let's see, when I am on the treadmill, I end up doing some intervals simply because I'm bored.  I am trying to keep it interesting.  Most of the time anyway :o).  I have been going to a couple of classes, the 50/50 strength and cardio class as well as barbell strength (which I assume is pretty similar to body pump), each once a week.  That has definitely encouraged me to switch it up a bit, and also ensures a couple of strength workouts throughout the week.  I have tried crossfit style workouts with my trainer, and love them, but for some reason I can't motivate myself to do them on my own.  I need someone else to kick me in the butt to get going, and I'm too chicken to move all the equipment around in the gym on my own.  Lame, I know.

Really, one of the biggest deterrant for me with the gym right now, is the time factor.  Chris often leaves for the hospital before 5:30am, and I know some of you might be, but personally I am not dedicated enough to get up at 4:30 to get a workout in.  Ryann is often up between 6 & 6:30, so I don't have a ton of time available to myself in the morning.  She takes great naps, but I also can't find the motivation to plan my workouts during nap time, that is my ME (err, internet, craft and work) time.  So going to the gym is really my best option.  It takes us about 15 minutes to get there, 5-10 minutes to get Ryann dropped off in the child care, workout for 45 minutes to an hour, 5-10 minutes to get my stuff from the locker room and get Ryann picked back up, and 10-15 minute drive home.  So every trip to the gym eats up an hour and 45 minutes to two hours out of our morning.  If I can get us going and we get there close to 8, not a problem, we can still be to activities between 9:30 & 10.  But Ryann is definitely grumpier if I rush us around in the morning so we usually don't end up at the gym until 8:45 or 9, and then we are rushing from here to there and no time for errands...

Really I'm not trying to make this a pity post, just spelling it all out.  For now I'm just trying to be a little more lenient with myself on 'missing' workouts.  If we have nothing planned or nothing we seriously need to get to, then it is the gym as normal.  But if there is an activity I really want to take Ryann too, or something else comes up, or I just want a break from the gym, I'm going to take it.  We will figure it out.

On another note, Jessie mentioned that she was unable to link up a couple of times.  I sincerely apologize, I have no idea what the issue is.  I just use simply-linked.com to create the linky, since it is free.  If anyone has another suggestion for a free link-up service, let me know!  I truly appreciate all of you who take the time to share about your journey and link up.  It definitely keeps me motivated, and I hope it helps others out there as well.

Wow.  That turned out to be much longer than I anticipated, so I'll try and keep this short.  I fallen back into a pretty bad habit.  One that involves a lot of chocolates and sweets.  Chocolate is DEFINITELY my biggest enemy when it comes to staying healthy.  During the holiday season I didn't want to deny myself things that I loved, and since then I've lost my ability to just say no to junk food, I have no will power.  And man.  I think Easter candy is my favorite candy.  Other holidays I feel like they just take the same old stuff and put it into different shapes, but Easter there is a bunch of things that you can't get throughout the rest of the year.  Dark Chocolate Mini Cadbury Eggs?  I don't want to talk about it.

I've done well keeping other processed food out of my life, and keeping our meals mostly healthy.  But the sweets?  They keep creeping back in.  Oy.  I need to do something about it, I just need to find my will power again.

 

What bad habit do you have a hard time keeping in check?  Be it health wise or any other random bad habit that you want to share :o).

7 comments:

Jessie said...

I got it to work this week! Yay! My post isn't very exciting this week, but it's definitely keeping me motivated! Thanks for doing it! My bad habit is eating candy! We try to keep it out of the house, but 2 bags of Robin Eggs made it into our cart this weekend...

Amber said...

Sweets are always so hard to live with and without! You are always such an inspiration keep up the great work!

Amber E. Berkoski said...

So I had a whole comment and it got deleted. Boo on that. Anyway, I was basically agreeing with you that sometimes life gets in the way - like today both my kids are sick with allergies - I don't always get to the gym either. And with husbands that can't help out a lot (I don't see mine except on the weekends) it makes it doubly hard.

I think we have to forgive ourselves for not being able to work out every single day of the week. When we can, that's what's important!

Also, for me, it's not candy that I have a problem with but eating out. On the weekends (when hubs is supposed to cook) we end up going out to eat. Sometimes we'll eat out lunch and dinner Fri - Sun. I know, I know this is an issue. But how do you pick healthy items on a take out menu?

Jenny said...

I don't have much to say about the "move-it" part of your post (at 32 weeks pregnant, move-it = walking the dog for me!), but I was biting my nails at that Kansas game, too! I have your Jayhawks in the final four on my bracket, I need those boys to not make me so nervous!

Genevieve said...

I totally understand how it can be tough to fit workouts into your day. Mornings work best for us too, but it does mean to have to rush out of the house and don't have time for much else until the afternoon. I think you have a great balance with your workouts and your time with Ryann, and that is so important. It seems like you know when to priorize the right things. :)

JessF said...

It's tough but you'll find your rythem again. Chalk it up to the change of the seasons :-)

My vice is also chocolate. I pour 2 Tbs of chocolate chips in a small dish. Because it's semi-sweet and not milk chocolate, it takes me a long time to eat it and it fills that chocolate need. (It's only 4 points on WW!)

Tammy said...

Ugh, sweets are definitely my bad habit! I've found trying to fill up on fruit helps (sometimes). But nothing quite replaces chocolate. Or chocolate and peanut butter. Or Girl Scout Cookies ; ) I've been trying to figure out a good routine for getting to the gym myself bc of my LO's naptimes. It's been nearly impossible since my gym only has childcare from 9-12 and my baby naps, well, whenever she feels like it. You ARE an inspiration to all of us, so don't be too hard on yourself if you have to miss a workout!