May 11, 2011

a day in the life - shawna

Good morning lovelies!  So I love blogs.  I love getting to 'meet' so many amazing people out on the interwebs.  I've learned so much from all of you.  But there are some women and blogs that absolutely blow me away.  Well Shawna captured my heart and inspires me almost daily.  She is a wonderful mother, a crafty little genius, a fantastic photographer, and an all around great lady.  I hope you enjoy a peek in to her day!

***

Hey! I'm Shawna of styleberryBLOG. I am a wife, mama, newborn photog & creative. I enjoy a busy, stylish, healthy life full of making pretty things & enjoying my babe! I am lucky to be able to be a business owner & also a mama. I pick my hours to work (which right now are slim) because work will always be there...my toddler will not. She is most important right now & I am so so so thankful I get to stay home with her!

Ashley, thanks so much for featuring me in your Day in the Life series. One of my biggest questions when I was a new mom was "what on earth do I do all day?" Obviously, that question was very quickly answered, but I still find it interesting to see how other mamas schedule their days. I tend to cram a lot in during my non-traditional waking hours, so here's the run down, iPhone style (cause lugging around my big fancy camera just wasn't happening all day long...)!

8:30-9am--we get up for the day. I am a total night owl & typically wake to the sound of my girly talking in her crib. I usually have enough time to get myself ready for the day before she is ready to get up too (she's chatty in the morning!) so my little alarm clock (named caroline) gets me up & at 'em by nine. We're no early birds. ;)

undefined

9:45 am--we are both dressed & ready for the day! Today was cause to celebrate--we got to turn off our air conditioning for the first time in months (been running it since January here in steamy South Texas...blah)!! There was no fashion today, just North Face Fleece! We hardly get to wear it down here, so I left my normal uniform of dress & boots in the closet & instead wore my North Face! That & my favorite Hudson Jeans, Michael Stars layering tank & Franco Sarto metallic flats. We just picked up a mini fleece for caroline at the NF outlet in Berkeley while visiting "home" in California. No sundress for this babe today! Just "fee-sss!"

undefined

10:05 am--hot breakfast for all. I eat a bowl of oatmeal with a cinnamon & a dusting of dark brown sugar. caroline usually steals half of my bowl of oats to go along with her eggs, banana & blueberries. & of course, my morning latte. Want to learn how to make one? I will teach you here!

undefined

11:20 am --we have a pretty regular morning routine. We normally leave the house. Whether a playdate, trip to the gym, errands, MOPS or Little Gym--we always get out. We met some friends for a shopping playdate on this day--what FUN!!

undefined

11:45 am--ooooh those look like some dreamy newborn props. Amy Butler does a bedding line? Oh yes she does. & it's at TJ Maxx. Score one for my BFF's little one, who will be on them for part of her shoot in July! Pretty, pretty!

undefined

12:45 pm--*splurge* lunch at ChicFilA. :) This is the only fast food place you'll find us. Unless we're in California (mmmmm IN 'N' OUT). The grilled chicken sandwich isn't all that bad for you. The chocolate shake...on the other hand....is the reason I work out. But I like the motto on their wall:

undefined

2:10 pm--pointing out every truck and bus and flag on our way home for a nappy. :)

undefined

3:25 pm--nappy time=happy time. I give myself half to do what I want (which is usually editing pictures, blogging or playing online) then the other half is for chores. 'Cause no one does those for me! & yes, that is my left over coffee from this morning. Tastes fine heated back up again!

undefined

4:30 pm--nap time is over & it's time to get crafty! I am planning a big Baby Shower & have a zillion & one things going on. I have quite the little helper...eager to get her hands on new "toys."

undefined

5:05 pm--another half dozen tissue paper pom pom's ready to travel. I'll poof up the big ones when we arrive. I've got two dozen of these coming along!

undefined

5:35 pm--taco salad for dinner. Simple & easy. Perfect for a midweek meal.

undefined

6:40 pm-- watered the plants & got messy before bath time! Practicing our fishy faces before diving into the tub. We'll read a story & hit the hay about 7 pm. Then there is some mama & daddy downtime and often a crossfit workout in the garage together.

undefined

12:30 am-- after my hubby goes to sleep, it's work time. This is when I do my blogging uninterrupted & take care of all my mama business. This is the view above my screen. :) I sure love my girly!

undefined

1:45 am--about time for bed. I'll crawl in & read or catch up on my trashy TV (bethenny anyone?!) and call it a night about 2-2:30 am. & then we'll do it all over again tomorrow!

undefined

Questions:

What is the most surprising thing about being a mom?

I think the most surprising thing I found about being a mom is how mindful it has made me. Most of what I do is done with a purpose. What I eat. How I speak, both to her & others. How much I read. My activity level. The activities she sees me doing. All of these things are shaping her normal & I am very mindful about what I am exposing her to. I think a lot more before I act.

What are some tips or advice you would give to new or soon-to-be mamas?

My best advice is prepare & read a lot, then decide what is right for you & stick to your guns. I found that a lot of people had opinions about the way I was going to do things & were highly critical of some of the decisions I made (babywise, cloth diapering, making all my own baby food etc.) and were not supportive. I quickly learned to surround myself with those who were respectful of my decisions. The right thing is what is right for your family. Period. Not everyone can go to bed at 2am and get up at 830am. But it works for me & us. & that is all that matters!

What are your top three baby products?

1. FuzziBunz One Size Diapers. If you want to learn more, check out my big 'ol post: Cloth Diapering for the Modern Mom.

2. My diaper bag--the Cake Cosmopolitan Carryall. I love her.

3. The ZoLi On the Go Feeder/SUMO. I made all my own babyfood--& this is how I kept her fed while we were out & about. Total lifesaver!!

***

Shawna, thank you so much for sharing with us!

3 comments:

Baby Shopaholic said...

Love the car picture! Her day seems similar to mine... no sleep!

Erin said...

Ashley - I just want to say again that I love this series - you've introduced me to so many amazing blogs! Shawna, I loved reading about your day and have been exploring your blog way too much during my work day today :)

Jacqueline said...

I love "day in the life" type posts! It's always interesting to see how others spend their time. I, too, am a 6 hour per night girl (although I sleep 12am-6am). It's not ideal, but I prefer to sacrifice a little sleep to make room for all of my other interests and hobbies. I've been known to do yoga at 11:30pm :)