May 2, 2011

just keep swimming...

Err, running actually (we watched Nemo this weekend).  My 5k is in six days.  AHHH!  I've never been this nervous for a 5k before.  Probably because previously, I didn't really set any goals or anything.  I just went with a friend (hey Whit!) and wanted to do my best.  Which is obviously what I want to do this time around, but I have a lot of different expectations of my best this time.

I want to run the whole thing.  Surprisingly I have yet to actually run 3.1 miles.  I feel like I probably should have attempted that before the actual race, but it just hasn't happened.  I'm following the c25k, and since I run an 11 minute ish mile, and haven't done more than the 30 minute run, I haven't quite made it.  But surely a few extra minutes of running won't kill me.  Especially if the route is pretty flat.

I want to finish in under 35 minutes.  As of Saturday I know I can cover 3.2 miles in 39 minutes, with 9 minutes of walking in there.  So certainly I should be able to achieve this goal as well, right?  Saturday I went running (I really should say jogging, I'm not sure what I do classifies as a run.  Whatever) with my dad and his friend.  The route wasn't super hilly, but it definitely was not flat.  There was a couple of decent inclines that stole a good chunk of my energy.  Hopefully a 'flat, stroller friendly path' + my bestie as a running buddy + trying not to look like a fool while running with a group of people = adrenaline that gives me an extra boost in the speed department.

We were at my parents until this morning, so again, I am left without a scale.  Therefore I can't give you an official weigh in for this week.  And again, I'm not expecting anything great considering it was my birthday weekend and I allowed myself a piece of cake Friday, Saturday AND Sunday.  But only one piece each day.  And a relatively small piece at that (relative to what I would have eaten had I not been dreading how it would affect the scale).

Honestly I feel pretty good about the choices I've made this week.  I haven't been perfect, but I am starting to embrace the fact that I am not on a 'diet', I have made a lifestyle change.  And every now and then it is ok to indulge.  As long as it isn't all the time.  Actually, a quote I came across on pinterest has really got me thinking...

Don't exchange what you want most for what you want at the moment.   

My first thought was, well, I want to be thinner, so even though I really want a piece of chocolate, I shouldn't eat it.  It doens't help me get to my goal.  But that wasn't exactly right.  I had to re-evaluate what my goals actually are right now.

I do want to be thinner.  But that isn't my ultimate goal.  Happiness is my ultimate goal (can't almost everyone say that?).  Being healthy and fit will help me be happy.  And sometimes a piece of chocolate makes me incredibly happy.  One piece of chocolate isn't going to ruin what I'm striving for.  7 or 8 in one sitting, more than once a week?  That probably will ruin what I'm striving for.  So as long as decisions I make don't derail me from the path to my goal, I can embrace my choices.   

3 comments:

Brenna said...

I think you said it perfectly. It is about one choice at a time and knowing that there are limits you do have to stick to. The key is not totally denying yourself of everything or you will end up eating everything!! Good job and proud of your progress!!

Meaghan said...

So well put. I love the quote, too. And I love you. Thank you for continuing to inspire me :)

You will do great this weekend. Can't wait to see you.

Peppermint Bee said...

I could have written this post myself!! I am alomost to a 5k, about 2.5 of straight running. A jogging stroller does not make it easy though!Just like you said, I don't think I can call it running either, more like chugging along.

Your "diet" also sounds exactly like what I am doing. Smaller portions and I allow for an indulgence here and there. I say eat your cake, just not the entire thing in one sitting!

Congratulations on your success and keep at it!