September 27, 2011

pumpkin banana bread

I've been ready to make some pumpkin bread, but we had THREE bananas that were getting a little brown.  Cue sad face.  I didn't want to make banana bread!  I wanted pumpkin bread!  Luckily there is google.  A quick search for pumpkin banana recipes and I found this.

pumpkinbananabread

The recipe didn't taste strongly in either direction, but I couldn't stop eating it.  Seriously.  And Ryann ate it!  That must mean it was really good.  Of course I had to add chocolate chips (duh), and I threw in walnuts because I love to have a little crunch in everything.

Pumpkin Banana Bread

Ingredients
  • 2-3 mashed ripe bananas (I think I put in 2.5 ish)
  • 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (if your batter looks too wet throw in a little more)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees*.  Lightly grease (or whatever it is you like to do to make your stuff not stick to the pan) an 8.5x4.5 inch loaf pan (pretty sure mine was 9x5), or two smaller loaf pans, or four mini ones...
  2. Place mashed banana, pumpkin puree, oil and eggs in a bowl.  Beat with an electric mixture on low speed.  In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon. 
  3. Add flour mixture to banana and pumpkin mixture and beat until just moist.  Mix in walnuts and chocolate chips.
  4. Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour until toothpick placed in center comes out clean.
*In my oven, my big ol' loaf of bread always seems to burn on the outside before it really cooks on the inside.  This time I turned my temp down to 325 and baked the loaf for over an hour.  It came out better, but really I just want to get two smaller loaf pans.

Enjoy!

No comments: