September 5, 2011

training isn't everything

No matter how hard you train, you won't perform your best unless you take care of your body.  You just can't.

The past couple of weeks I've fallen off the healthy eating wagon just a bit.  Since hitting my goal I'm focusing more on training (running mostly) and maintaining my weight loss, rather than carefully watching and counting every bite that goes in my mouth.  (Funny, since just a couple of weeks ago I was talking about how calories count...).  That was working fine for a couple weeks, but then I started to pick up too many sweets, and not enough vegetables.  Too much lemonade light, not near enough water.  Definitely not enough sleep.

And I'm feeling it.  My runs are much harder.  I just feel, gross.  We've had a couple of weekends full of family fun (have you ever seen a house full of Norwegian women?  quite the party :o), and I really wanted to enjoy them.  And I did, I had a great time seeing all my family and socializing and, well, EATING.

But now I need to really focus on what my goals are.  I want to lose a couple more pounds and get more lean, build more muscle.  And I REALLY want to be able to run a half marathon in November.  I know I won't be able to do that if I feel as uncomfortable as I did yesterday during my long run.  My body was tired, my stomach was uncomfortable, my muscles were crampy (hello dehydration, NEED MORE WATER!).

Something especially interesting to me this weekend, was how my body reacted to the unhealthy food.  I haven't had an acoholic beverage in such a long time.  I'm not anti drinking or anything, but I decided that I'd rather eat my calories than drink them, and who really wants to get up and run 6 miles after an evening of drinking?  I know I don't, so I figured it would just be easier if I didn't.  Plus, when I used to drink, the next morning I would have pain down the back of my neck, upper back, and all over my arms.  To the point that I wouldn't let Christopher hug me for a day or two.  We really thought it was related to the alcohol.

But after a week of not watching what I was eating, I woke up yesterday morning with my same 'drinking' pain.  Obviously, it wasn't the alcohol.  I guess maybe dehydration and too much sugar?  It is so uncomfortable.  Just another thing to emphasize that eating right and drinking TONS of water does wonders.


There is still tons of food and sweets leftover from all of these get togethers, so I know I won't be perfect (and I can't let good 'better than crack' brownies go to waste, seriously?).  But my goal for this week is to drink a minimum of 72 ounces of water a day (three camelbaks full :o).  AND get in three good strength workouts.  I really need to focus on those now that I'm planning them on my own.  Wish me luck with that!

Speaking of good strength workouts... my run on Friday was rough because I was so freaking sore from my strength on Wednesday.  Since it was my last workout with my trainer, she wanted to do something 'fun'.  Um, I'm sorry, anything called the 'filthy fifty' most likely will NOT be fun.  It went a little something like this:

50 box jumps
50 pull-ups
50 kettlebell swings
50 walking lunges
50 knees to elbows
50 push press
50 back extensions
50 wall ball shots
50 burpees
50 double unders

I didn't complete the workout exactly as prescribed.  I think my weights were slightly lower, and instead of 50 double unders I did 100 single jumps, because I couldn't quite get the hang of the double unders.  My knees to elbows were, um, probably not fully correct.  Burpees and box jumps?  Two of my least favorite things.  That workout was MISERABLE.  But I finished in just over 35 minutes.  I'm not sure I EVER want to try it again :o).

What is the hardest workout you've ever done?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

hardest workouts for me are usually my boot camp class that I take at the Y. Long runs are sometimes tough too. This morning's was a killer because it is 99% humidity outside :( My legs felt like lead for all 8 miles!

Sharstin said...

i have done a workout in cross fit--killer for sure! you are so amazing, all i know that you can do whatever you put your mind to! and you can rock a half marathon for sure~