August 5, 2011

cilantro-lime chicken with avocado salsa

I am proud to say my taste buds are changing and my food selections are expanding.  Ask my close friends, I seriously used to be the pickiest eater.  Just go back through my recipes, towards the beginning all of them used pasta, chicken, broccoli and mushrooms in some sort of white cream sauce.  I still LOVE those ingredients, but I am finding more things I like just as well.

A surprising one for me?  Avocado.  That is not something we had growing up, and if my mom didn't make it, I wouldn't try it.  But now I am loving guacamole and things that have avocado in them.  I found this chicken recipe via pinterest, and it definitely didn't disappoint.  Even Christopher, who is still a bit skeptical of avocado, liked it.  We both wanted more of the salsa though, maybe we will double that part next time.

cilantrolimechicken

Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa
a Cooking Light recipe from April 2009, found here

Ingredients
Chicken
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • cooking spray
Salsa
  • 1 cup chopped plum tomato (about 2)
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 avocado, peeled and finely chopped
Directions
  1. To prepare chicken, combine first four ingredients in a large bowl; toss and let stand for 3 minutes (I think we let it go 10-15 minutes).  Remove chicken chicken from marinade; discard marinade.  Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt.  
  2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.  Coat pan with cooking spray.  add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done.  (Chris grilled our chicken, we really liked it that way.)
  3. To prepare salsa, combine tomato and next four ingredients (through pepper) in a medium bowl.  Add avocado; stir gently to combine.  Serve salsa over chicken.
One chicken breast half + a quarter cup of the salsa is about 289 calories.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Caitlin MidAtlantic said...

Wow, this looks delicious and super easy - a double win! On the list for next week.

Jenny said...

Oh, that looks so good! My husband can't have much sodium, but he could have this. Why have I never checked out Cooking Light?

Whit said...

This looks delicious. Printed up the recipe to make this weekend!

Faith said...

that looks so delicious! i have to make it!